Monday, March 26, 2012

And then the tables turned

I'm feeling really bad about something that happened over the weekend. I went to a party at BC with some friends, stereotypical college kid stuff. I do that once in a while. But this time, at the beginning of the night, I hung out with Leah's boyfriend's roommate for a bit, this really shy and awkward guy. I thought we were  just talking, he seemed like someone I could be friends with. Apparently it was surprising that he was even talking to me, because he doesn't usually talk to people unless he knows them well. So that happened, and I didn't really think anything of it. We played a game kind of like beer pong together, and sometime after that Leah pulled me aside. She told me that he said he'd been hitting on me all night, which was completely news to me. I told her that I wasn't attracted to him that way, and returned to the party. I've always thought that dating someone more awkward and quiet than I am would be a problem, so it wasn't going to happen.

I don't think I really talked to him for the rest of the night, but apparently he saw when I was with a sleazy Northeastern freshman. At the beginning of the night, that kid seemed really annoying, loudly wondering what we Emerson kids would do with our majors. By the point that I was talking to him, though, I was too lazy to go anywhere to avoid him. I don't really remember that much of what we talked about, just that he had his arm around me, and I couldn't decide how I felt about it since I wasn't attracted to him either. Leah got me away from the Northeastern kid, and sent my friends and I back to campus because it was really late. She later said that it was because the Northeastern kid looked like he was about to kiss me. I'm glad she didn't let that happen, I already have one thing to regret from that night.

I'm such an asshole. I never wanted to be that person. I don't really know how much it affected him, but I still feel like a jerk. I didn't mean to break that guy's heart, especially since I know how much that sucks. Next time, I won't be such a dumbass. It probably is better to actually hear in words that someone isn't interested than to just witness them hanging out with a different guy. Granted, my judgment was way off by that point, but it doesn't excuse what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment